Virus protection software is a program that can detect, prevent, and clean computer viruses that can infect your computer system. It will scan downloaded files as well as your entire computer system to detect the presence of an infection. Before entering the information about antivirus programs, let’s first learn some basic information about computer viruses in general.
Click here to download Free Antivirus
New viruses are released almost every day, so your computer always has a chance of getting infected with a virus that your antivirus software does not “know” yet. These viruses, spyware and other malware are called malware and can be surreptitiously installed on your computer or device. Malware can do everything from crashing your device to monitoring or controlling your online activity. This control may allow hackers to send spam and steal your private information, which could eventually lead to identity theft.
The best antivirus software will protect your computer, laptops and tabs from malware, protecting you from hackers, cyber criminals and the latest online threats. As cyber crime continues to grow, investing in robust, reliable, and up-to-date antivirus software has never been more important, not just for your PC, but for all Internet-enabled devices.
How to avoid viruses in the first place
Besides having active and up-to-date antivirus software installed on your computer and running spyware detection software, you can develop other habits to minimize the risk of infection. Think of it as defensive driving.
- Perform software updates regularly.
- Be extremely careful with email attachments. Don’t open an attachment just because it looks like it’s from someone you know; it could be a fake return address.
- Read the license agreements before downloading and installing software on your computer, unless you are certain that it is from a trusted source. This will often tell you what other software, advertisements, or data collections you agree to by installing the intended software.
- Do not fall into the trap of offering “free” things on the Internet.
- Free screen savers are also known to spread viruses, adware, or spyware.
- When surfing the Internet, if a window appears offering services or software, close the window using the X in the upper right corner. By clicking on ANY other button. Even “No” or “Cancel” can trigger the installation of a virus or spyware.
How to know your PC is virus infected
The Web is full of malicious threats such as viruses, spyware, malware, worms, Trojans, and adware that threaten the operation of your computer system and adversely affect performance.
Here are some signs that may indicate that your system may have been infected.
- The appearance of pop-ups, noises or random music.
- Random files and icons appear on your desktop or in other places when you have not installed such things.
- The files and icons that were on your system before disappeared without uninstalling or moving them.
- A high number of unusual error messages occur.
- Online text, graphics, pop-ups, and dialogs are distorted or unreadable.
- Hard drives, CD / DVD drives, or other hardware components are no longer accessible.
- Applications are no longer accessible with passwords when you have not changed the password.
- Programs that have worked properly before running slowly or not at all.
- Your system becomes extremely slow or constantly freezes.
- Your system hangs and reboots every few minutes or does not boot at all.
How to remove computer viruses
You can take two approaches to eliminate a computer virus. One is the manual approach to do it yourself. The other is to use a reputable antivirus program.
Do you want to do it yourself? There can be a lot of variables when it comes to removing a computer virus. This process usually starts with a web search. You may be asked to complete a long list of steps. You will need time and probably some expertise to complete the process. If you prefer a simpler approach, you can usually remove a computer virus using an antivirus program. For example, Ram Antivirus Basic can delete many infections on your computer. The product can also help protect you from future threats.
Separately, Ram also offers a free virus cleanup plan. Here is how it works.
- Run a free trial of Ram Ultimate Antivirus to check for viruses and malware on your devices.
- Use the Ram Malware Removal Tool to destroy existing viruses. Need help for? Ram Technical Support can help you by remotely accessing your computer to detect and eliminate most viruses.
- Install up-to-date security software to help prevent future malware and viruses.
What does Ram Antivirus software actually do?
Ram Antivirus programs scan the drive and memory for signs of viruses, called “signatures.”
There are two basic types of analysis:
Real-time scan scans files as they are used or loaded into your computer.
On-demand scan scans your entire computer whenever you deem it necessary or at specific scheduled intervals. It is advisable to run on-demand scans at least once every two weeks to maintain a secure computing environment.
Isn’t Windows Defender enough?
From Windows 8, Windows has built-in virus protection, called Windows Defender, enabled by default. But is it enough? The answer is “maybe” in the sense that its effectiveness is not certain because of its dependence on several moving parts. For example, Windows Defender is a good defense against traditional viruses. However, it may not detect threats other than viruses and will not protect your devices from more sophisticated infiltration such as ransomware. So its effectiveness also depends on your caution as an individual. Are you going to click on this link or this attachment of an email from an unknown sender or from a website? To be safe, you will probably need an extra layer of protection.